Monday, May 31, 2010

MEMORIAL DAY AT DEBBIE AND JEFF’S AT THE RIVER

May 31 – My niece, Deborah, and her husband, Jeff, recently bought a home on Lancaster Creek, tributary to the Rappahannock River in Farnham, VA. They invited the whole family to spend Memorial Day with them. My brothers and sisters gathered there for a delightful afternoon!!


Here is a view of the house from the pier.






A wise old owl watches over the pier and keeps unwanted birds away. They said the owl is so heavy that during a major storm when the pier was covered with vicious waves, the owl remained in place!


Many years ago, my aunt and uncle owned a home just three houses up the creek from Debbie’s. My brothers and sisters and our families visited them often. Visiting Debbie brought back many wonderful memories of those days gone by – hours of sailing, water skiing and just basking in the sun!!

My brother, Chip, and I reminisce on the pier.



Back at the house, we gathered for lunch. Debbie had prepared delicious chicken breast sandwiches and Jeff made a wonderful Rappahannock River Catfish and Crab chowder.



The chowder. We had eaten most of it before I took the picture.



My sister Jean, bakes the most delicious Toll House Cookies ever!!


Ken is enjoying one here.

Enjoying our lunch.



My brother, Nelson and his wife, Helen.

As the afternoon wore on, some of us moved our chairs to get out of the sun. Someone commented that we looked like we were sitting on a bus!! We all broke into song -- The wheels on the bus go round and round . . .



Here is the Hat Parade!!!


Debbie put on her hat. We had to laugh!! She was a good imitation of Minnie Pearle!!



We had a wonderful time. Jeff proposed we make it an annual tradition!! Sounds like a winner to me!!

Thank you, Deb and Jeff, for a great time and thanks for the memories!!

No comments: