Wednesday, February 25, 2009

AVASCULAR NECROSIS OF THE FEMORAL HEAD

What the heck is that??? I don’t know, but an MRI revealed that is what’s wrong with my right hip!! A “Dead Head” is what my Orthopedic doctor, Robert Massam, in Sebring said when I saw him on January 05. He likened it to a golf ball. When the ball is new, it remains firm when you squeeze it. But when the ball is worn out, it collapses easily under light pressure. That’s my hip. The femoral head is deteriorating.


Dr. Massam said they used to try to correct the problem in various ways. He even wrote some papers on that very thing, but that was year ago (I read some of his works on line). Now, he said they have determined the only treatment is full hip replacement!!! BAD NEWS!! But it is not urgent at this time. In the meantime, he gave me a steroid shot in my hip. That did help the pain somewhat, but my hip is still bothers me a lot.

What to do?? I plan to seek a second opinion when we get back to Richmond in the Spring. Surely don’t look forward to hip replacement surgery!!!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Very interesting & info to remember in future. Perhaps therapist could suggest exercises/diet to help. Hope it gets better. Lynne