Wednesday, January 29, 2014

DON'T BE STUPID!! LIKE I WAS!!

Thur, Jan 16 - This morning as we were leaving TT Orlando to go to TT Peace River, we needed to stop by Camping Connection to have a repair made to our slide-out (See article Things That Go Click, Click, Click In The Night).  Because of this delay, we were running a few hours behind schedule.  That was not a problem except it meant we would arrive at TT  Peace River at about 1:30 pm, and by the time we were sat up it would be after 2:00 pm.

In my mind, that was too late to eat lunch.  We were driving at moderate speed south on Rt. 17 through some small towns; terrain was flat and fairly straight; light traffic.  I could whip up a couple of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch on the way.

Suddenly!!  Ken had to stop quickly!  I was standing at the kitchen counter with knife in my hand, spreading peanut butter and jelly on slices of wheat bread.  I went flying toward the front of the RV.  With the slide-out in the IN position, there was very little room to navigate my fall!  I struck my side on the corner of the console and fell into the floor!


The knife went flying out of my hand!  A slice of peanut butter bread was plastered on the side of the J-Lounge on the right!!  Jelly bread was in the kitchen tile floor, jelly side up, almost under my foot!  I slowly managed to get myself up out of the floor and SIT DOWN and fasten my seat belt!!  STUPID!!!

After we had settled in at our new campsite, I drove myself to the Wauchula Hospital Emergency Room to see what kind of damage I had done to my right side.  The staff took four X-Rays of my ribs.  The ER doctor showed me the pictures and said I had fractured my #9 rib (one of the lower ribs) in two places.  The ends were not pointed toward my lungs and did not create a major problem.  They do nothing for that type of fracture except prescribe some strong pain medication.  It will take four to six weeks to heal.  In the meantime, take it easy and breath deeply every hour to prevent pneumonia.

I have been surprised that the fractured ribs have not bothered me too, too much, except getting in and out of bed.  And I have been taking it very, very easy!!  No pickleball for a while!!

So, Do like I said -- not as I do.  Don't Be Stupid!!

No comments: