Friday, April 16, 2010

NORTON ANTI-VIRUS ALMOST GOT THE BEST OF ME

April 11 – To make an aggravating story really long –

Back in October 2008, my subscription for Norton Systems Works expired. I went on line to order an update. The order form said if I purchased Norton Internet Security for two years, they would GIVE me the Norton System Works upgrade for FREE. This would take my subscription to October 2010 (2 years). I downloaded the two programs, which took me forever using the TT Chesapeake Bay WiFi connection.

In October 2009, I began getting messages on my computer that Norton Systems Works had expired. I called Symantec, and told them I had bought a two year subscription but it had expired after only one year.. Adin (Tech at Symantec) explained that the Norton Internet Security was for two years, but the Norton Systems Works upgrade was for only one year. I persuaded him that that was ridiculous – why would I buy two years of one program and only one year of the other. Adin said he would add an additional year to my Systems Works subscription. I believe he did because when I looked at my account on line, it showed I had another year.

However, after only a few months, I got more messages that my Norton subscription had expired. February 2010, I called Symantec again and explained my problem to their technician. He said they no longer support the Systems Works – now they use Norton Utilities. He would transfer the days I have remaining on my Systems Works to my Internet Security (so I would not lose those days), and send me a CD for Norton Utilities for $35 plus S&H. I installed and activated that program on March 10. A short time afterward, when I clicked on my Norton Utilities ICON, nothing happened. I could not open the program. I called Symantec again. This time, on April 09, I talked with a very nice technician (Osphine Jane Ariquez Jayme (Janie). I discovered she was in the Philippines and while it was 1:00 PM in Florida, it was 1:00 AM in the Philippines!! Janie told me my Norton Utilities was not working because it was the latest edition, and my Norton Internet Security was a year old! After discussing the problem for a while, we decided I do not need both programs anyway, so I cancelled the Norton Utilities and she added a year from that subscription to my Norton Internet Security. But, that was not the end. Janie now offered to download the latest Norton Internet Security to my computer. I keyed in a few letters, at her instruction, and she took over my computer and began the download. Now, that was fascinating, to sit there and watch as she manipulated my computer from the Philippines!!After about 20 minutes, she decided my connection was too slow and it would take over three hours to complete the download using TT Peace River WiFi connection.


If you look closely, you may see that the estimated time to download is 3 hours 45 minutes!! We QUIT!!

I suggested that I go over to a faster connection and she could call me back. On Sunday, April 11, I went over to Sally and Stan’s and used their Torrey Oaks WiFi. Janie called me back and we completed the download in short order. Then it had to be installed and some other things. The entire process took about an hour!!


FINALLY, after six months of problems, I think we have the whole thing up and running!!! Thank you , Osphine Jane Ariquez Jayme in the Philippines!!! It was so nice to find a real person to talk to who was knowledgeable and so helpful!!

I know, I know!! Everybody says, “Don’t use Norton – it’s the worse!!”, but I have two plus years to go, so guess I’ll keep using it!!!

No comments: