Thursday, April 30, 2009


April 29-30 – We woke at 4:15 a.m. on Wednesday and drove from TT Chesapeake Bay to Richmond. We had to be at St. Mary’s Hospital at 6:30 a.m. Ken’s knee surgery was at 9 o’clock. We talked with Dr. McGlynn later in day and he assured us that the surgery had gone well and everything was looking great. However, Ken had a reaction to the anesthesia and felt pretty lousy the rest of the day. I'm staying with him at the hospital. Neither of us got much sleep last night.

This is the scene outside the waiting room at the hospital, as I waited for news about Ken's surgery.

Today, Thursday, Ken was looking and feeling much better. The bandage was removed this morning and replaced with a smaller patch. Thought you’d like to see how it looks. The dark lines were drawn by the doctor as a “road map”. All the stitches are internal. Very professional job, don’t you think??

Ken was able to get up a couple of times during the day, using a walker and the help of PT personnel. His appetite is pretty good and he ate about half of his meals – I ate the other half!! His major problem now is the pain in the back of his surgical knee. So many people have told us that is where they experienced the most trouble. It seems to be true.

Dr. McGlynn said we can look at going home on either Saturday or Sunday, depending on how things go. I think, with not going to rehab and living in the motor home as we do, we would be smart to wait until Sunday. That would give Ken one more day to recoup and get stronger.

The staff here is wonderful and have been very attentive. Mike and Diane have been wonderful, too, with all their help and visits!! Thank you everybody!!


Betty Graffis said...

Glad for the good report! Looks like a nice clean incision! We Will continue to pray he will be back on his feet soon and you won't get too tired caring for him.

Mark and Chris said...

Excellent news that the surgery went well! Ken will be fine in the motorhome Faye. Just turn on some NASCAR or let him beat you at Wii bowling.....Hoping to see you guys around the middle of this month for a few days on our way home.

Brits On Tour said...

Great news you two, the scar looks very clean, and very little swelling. You'll soon be back on the oickle ball court Ken. Our love to both.