Tuesday, November 3, 2015

FAYE'S SPINAL SURGERY SCHEDULED FOR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 09, 2015!!

Tue, Nov 03 - Back in October I posted an article that on October 09 I had seen Neurosurgeon Dr. Peter Alexander who showed me that I had a large Facet Cyst on my spine and would need to have it removed.  He said they would schedule the surgery as quickly as possible, however, that turned out to be a whole month later.  Finally, my Spinal Surgery is scheduled for Monday, November 09, 2015 at St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond, VA.  Dr. Alexander said the surgery would take about four hours.  He would have to remove a part of my vertebrae to get to the Cyst; remove the Cyst; and rebuild the vertebrae.  Following the surgery I will be in the hospital for five days and require about five additional days of rehab.  He did not mention anything about Physical Therapy yet.

I have been popping pain pills for weeks, trying to alleviate some of the pain.  When they don't work, I just lay down with my feet above my head for awhile.  I had been struggling to walk with a cane but recently Carol, a Pickleball player here at TT Chesapeake Bay, loaned me her crutches.  Wow have they made a difference in my mobility.

Things have gotten really busy recently.  I have had pre-admission testing by the hospital; gotten pre-op clearance from my Cardiologist and my PCP.  I have also been fitted for a back brace to wear after the surgery.  It is quite a contraption!!  Tomorrow I'm getting a steroid shot in my left shoulder that had been scheduled for replacement,  I hope that will keep me from having too much pain in that shoulder at the time of spinal surgery.

Thanks to all of you for your concern and good wishes,  Will keep you posted!!

No comments: